Interview with Catherine Cade – Romance Author
Author Spotlight – Catherine Cade
- Tell us a little about yourself. How long have you been writing? What genre do you write?
First, thanks so much to S.E. Smith, fabulous sci fi romance author for inviting me to guest here! Love SE’s stories, so I’m thrilled to meet her readers for a day.I’m Cathryn Cade. I grew up in Montana in the cowboy culture, taught school there, married and raised two wonderful sons. Now my husband and I live in the lake country of North Idaho, with a boat, bicycles and a love for brewpubs. When I’m not reading or writing, I’m usually quilting with colors as wild as my characters.I’ve been writing since I was old enough to hold a pencil! As a teen, I read my first romance and that was it — I became a romance reader & writer. I wrote scenes and snippets for years. In 2007 my husband, the boys and I moved to Portland OR, where I discovered Romance Writers of America. Then I learned how to construct a romance that other people would actually want to read, and how to get it before a publisher.
- What inspired you to write your first book?
In 2007, Samhain Publishing put out a call for shifter novellas. I sat down and over spring break from teaching I wrote Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bryght, a 30K erotic sci fi romance. The book debuted in 2008 at #1 on Samhain and the #7 best-seller on Amazon. What a thrill that was!
- Where do you get your inspiration from?My space opera is just a short leap from the ‘horse opera’ westerns I loved as a child. My space captains are alpha heroes with lasers instead of six guns, my heroines wear fitted flight suits instead of petticoats and the Native Americans are planetary natives struggling to get Earthlings to behave when they show up uninvited on planet. I adore gadgets, so lasers, power shields and space ships are favorite aspects of my sci fi universe. I also love messing about with sexual mores and powers on the different planets—that’s just fun! Fiercely sexy alpha shifters, coolly arrogant empath-intuits, exotically beautiful desert-dwelling reptiloids … they all dwell in the Cade-iverse!
- What series/book did you write that has the biggest following.My current sexy, futuristic LodeStar Series has been very popular. Logan Stark, space billionaire and his two younger brothers Joran and Creed fight to hold their own against villainous space pirates, and win true love on a futuristic Earth II and beyond. These guys are alphas who are willing to get as down & dirty as it takes to show their feisty heroines where they belong—at their hero’s side and in his arms. The major romance arc of the series has wrapped up for Logan Stark, but I’m now giving some fave secondary characters their own stories, so watch for more LodeStar goodness.
- Is there anything that you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Can someone please, please clone me so I will have time to write all the series, characters and stories in my brain?? Recently a funny meme appeared on Facebook, that inside the mind of a writer are 25,000 screen tabs open all the time that cannot be closed. This is so true! I write sci fi, contemporary, contemporary paranormal and have too many ideas to count in all of these genres.
- Describe your latest WIP
Cyborg Pleasure; the Space Madam’s Warrior, Book 6 in The LodeStar Series debuts in February 2016. Having a blast writing this one!She lost everything …Ilya Mondas once lived her dream — life with a band of space gypsies wandering the wild plains of Frontiera, the freedom to use her tech savvy to wreak mayhem on pirates and slavers, and her big, soft-spoken warrior Var, who adored her. Then she lost him, and the life she loved.She’ll do anything to get it all back …Now on her own, she must take over The Pleasure Palace, a ragtag space-station casino, home to hookers, gamblers and rogues. But one or all of them want her dead, and they have the monsters to do it — human-cyborg gladiators, created for the illegal fight ring hidden deep in the center of her new home. Where the biggest, baddest cyborg of all looks eerily like her dead husband.But can she trust him again?
- How can readers reach you?I’m easy to reach & love to chat with readers. I spend a lot of time on Facebook, and I have an email link on my website, where you can also find all the books, along with reviews, exclusive excerpts and more. To keep up with new releases & maybe win books and bling, sign up for my newsletter!